Thursday, May 12, 2011

Where's my paper?

Wednesday morning, while getting ready for the day, I headed the kitchen anticipating seeing the front page of the Detroit Free Press on the kitchen table with some headline like "Game 7!" I had watched the thrilling Detroit Red Wings game six Tuesday night and was looking forward to the celebration in the morning paper.

I know the Free Press went to home delivery only three days a week quite some time ago, but Wednesday morning it was disappointing when I realized there would be no home delivery that day. Being in the newspaper business, I understand the Freep's need to change to more of an Internet-based newspaper, but I felt like metro-Detroiters missed out one a part of the sports history experience. Sure, I could have gone and bought the paper that morning, but it's not the same. There's something magical about waking up in the morning, and having history delivered to you.

As I said, I could have gone out that morning and purchased a hard copy of the paper. But I didn't. At the same time, I didn't look it up on the Freep site either. I knew what happened, I had watched the game. I didn't need to read the recap and seeing an image of the front page wouldn't have been the same. All I wanted was to feel sports history at my fingertips.

No comments:

Post a Comment