Friday, May 27, 2011

An awesome Manchester tale from across the pond

Photo linked from road2manchester.blogspot.com

I can't lie: when I was offered this job back in December when I was still an intern with The Bay City Times, I had an idea of the geography of Manchester and knew it was close to Ann Arbor. But I didn't know exactly where it was.

Enter a man from Manchester, England, who not only knows where this village is, but every other one in the country. That's impressive.

Pete Johnson, a British citizen, is riding his motorcycle,or motor bike, as it's being called in other news stories, to every Manchester in the U.S. and Canada, exploring what makes the name "Manchester" so special.
I loved every minute of reading on his journey, namely, because I'd love to make a journey like this. I also loved it because I felt a bit more connected to my British heritage in doing so.

My great-grandfather grew up in a town called Fraserburgh, a predominant fishing town in northwest Scotland, before he came to the United States. My entire life, I've been surrounded with Scottish and British flags, prayers, and even kilts (and no, I do not own one, nor have I worn one, for those curious).

When I interviewed Pete via Skype a few nights ago, I found it enjoyable to hear his story and use common British terminology to describe it (when my internet or power wasn't going out; thanks to Pete for dealing with me during that time).

It's an exciting adventure he's on, and hopefully you get a chance to meet him whenever he stops in. He said he tries to stop by the municipal buildings in town to speak with officials, and tries to eat at local places.

If you want to read more about his trip, check out his blog at unitedstatesofamanchester.blogspot.com, and follow him on Twitter at @road2manchester.

No comments:

Post a Comment