Thursday, March 31, 2011

The smell of Spring

David was kind enough to take me for a drive through our coverage area Tuesday. As we drove through Manchester, Sharon, Freedom, and Bridgewater with the windows rolled down, the scent of nearby farms fill the car. To some, the smell of animals and fertilizer would force their finger to the window up button. I'm different. I let the aroma linger.

The drive, especially the scents surrounding us, reminded me of my numerous drives from Westland to Adrian, where I attended college. I loved the the first time after Winter when I peacefully drove with the windows rolled down and encountered the familiar smell. There's something enchanting and cozy about rural areas. The silos and farm houses rekindle my love of Laura Ingalls Wilder's stories and often inspire me to pick up one of her books for a quick read. The drive reminded me of my college time when my future was unknown, but all possibilities existed. Some people like to stop and smell the roses. I like to stop and smell the farms.

No comments:

Post a Comment