Monday, January 4, 2010

holidays and monday morning melancholies

It's always difficult to get going on a Monday, especially if it follows a holiday weekend. Still, it's probably best to be back. I've actually never been very good at doing nothing. I can handle it in tiny increments, like the occasional day off to not shower and watch "The Office" all day. For the most part though, I keep myself pretty busy.

My holiday was pretty enjoyable. I had a LOT of friends back in town spending the holidays with their families. I get pretty excited when that happens, but this year was a bit overwhelming. I think on one day I had a breakfast with one friend, an early brunch date, and lunch meeting, coffee with two others, dinner with friend #7, 8 and 9, and then drinks with a few more. So I was busy, and my brother was in town from Georgia so I got to see him too. It was a great family holiday.

I also made out pretty well in terms of Christmas gifts. I got a few shirts from J.Crew that I wanted, as well as some loafers and a Michael Stars wrap (love him!). Also my brother bought my entire family color-coordinated Snuggies. Then he made us put them on. Then he made us take pictures. It was mortifying, but a bonding experience nonetheless. I guess that's what older brothers are for.

I also managed to see "Sherlock Holmes" in there somewhere and "Avatar" in 3D Imax. Both were really fun and entertaining. Neither were the type of movie that really make you think too hard, but they were fun to look at and they made me laugh/cry/pout/reach out to touch floating whispies. This time of year is good for that... so many movies come Oscar season. I still want to see "Up in the Air," "The Road," "The Young Victoria," "Precious," and a few upcoming releases like "Daybreakers." I <3 vampires.

But now back to work. It snowed pretty hard last night and now the roads are pretty bad I suppose. I didn't have any trouble getting out of Ann Arbor, but it is taking quite a while for people to filter into the office from their respective districts. Drive safe, everyone.

Linkspam!

Avatar smashes box office records. Glad to see James Cameron only brings out the big guns once every 10 years... still, he has yet to beat his own record. Do better, James. Do better.

Beijing gets record snowfall. It snows in Beijing? I guess we aren't the only ones with flurry problems.

The Big Picture. I bet your New Year's Eve didn't look this awesome. I'm afraid our light-up ball doesn't really compare to a green-lit Big Ben with massive fireworks. What I would have paid to be on that Ferris wheel...

No comments:

Post a Comment