Friday, December 11, 2009

Merry Christmas from AAA

This past week, I was met with an unpleasant surprise in my mailbox. My car insurance company decided now would be a good time to notify me that they cancelled my insurance and that it is illegal to drive without insurance. This isn't for lack of paying. Infact, I always pay on time or before deadline, and I have never had a problem with AAA since I first enrolled two years ago.
I shouldn't say "never." Since everything is automated nowadays, if the computer does not process your check at 12:01 a.m. the day it's due, it automatically sends you a cancellation notice. This is quite irritating. And, because I know I paid my bill, I just ignored it. Big mistake. Sure enough, the incompetent people at AAA cancelled my insurance.
After spending 40 minutes on the phone with a representative, he nor his supervisor could figure out why the system cancelled me. Of course it couldn't be as simple as hitting a button to reinstate my policy. No, the computer apparently won't let you do that unless the customer pays the $17 reinstatement fee.
So, after informing me of the fee, despite being innocent of this whole thing, I was left with no option other than to pay. Of course, I can file a grievance, but those probably go in the "dead mail" pile at the post office along with kids' Santa letters.
Two days later I got a call from a AAA representative informing me that they were correct in billing me $17. Apparently when I moved, the system told them that my car insurance payment should be more, and it took it upon itself to pro-rate the $17 from my last bill. This whole unforunate set of circumstances cost me my insurance for a day and a massive headache.
Though AAA was wrong, somehow I owe them an extra $17 and can look forward to a higher insurance bill in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment