Thursday, November 19, 2009

Handle with care ...

For two weeks I have been trying to pack up my apartment in Belleville. Earlier this year, my girlfriend and I decided to start shopping around for places to live. A lot of people told us that now would be a good time to buy a home. In hindsight, they are probably right. However, we wanted to wait until she graduated from college in February to make any decision like that. My old childhood home in Allen Park is up for sale. It would be nice to buy that house, but I do not think that will happen. Hopefully it will hit the market again when I am shopping around for a house.
For now, we're content moving into a cozy two-bedroom apartment. I have already begun making plans to turn one of the rooms into a joint office. The part that I am quickly losing patience over is packing.
For one, I HATE packing and moving. It's so tedious and annoying. I have spent most of my free evenings packing and sealing boxes in preparation for the big move on Saturday. My girlfriend reassures me that I do not have that much stuff (and that she has a lot more). The fact that I stare at boxes filling my current living room frightens me. How much more could she have? Can we cram it all in one small apartment?
We are purging some stuff and next week I have to meet the Salvation Army guys so they can take my couch, loveseat, chair, kitchen table and coffee table. I apparently lost the battle on whose stuff is going with us to the new apartment. Again, she assures me, her stuff is nicer anyway and in better condition.
I'm not too much at a loss though. Most of my furniture I've used for the past two and a half years was donated to me.
I will be glad when this week and next week are over and I can rest in my new apartment. Then again, if it took me two weeks to pack everything up, how long is it going to take for me to unpack everything? Indeed, I already forgot which box contains what appliance.
That being said, at least we're not trying to move around the holidays. The holiday season is one of my favorite times of the year and I do not want anything affecting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment