Friday, October 7, 2011

Time to run?

Forbes released a list this week of the most dangerous cities in America and Detroit was number one. Living in a suburb of Detroit, the top ranking increased my desire to move as far away from city as possible. I enjoy visiting Detroit when going to an event, like a Tigers game. I would not, however, want to live there. I appreciate those trying to bring the city back to life, and maybe I should try to make change instead of complaining.
The list also reminded me of one of the things I hate about watching Detroit sports on national television. Usually when a Tigers or Wings game is broadcast nationally, the announcers make some type of comment about the fans showing the spirit of Detroit and breathing new life into the city. Yes the fans attending the games are putting money from parking and concessions into the city, but after the game they get in their cars, lock their doors and go back to the suburbs.
Also, in now way are these people the true "spirit" of Detroit. Eight-two percent of Detroit's population is African American. Take a look at the stands, it's predominantly white.
I wish national broadcasters would call it as it is and draw attention to what Detroit is really like. Show the homeless people begging for change outside the stadium, as well as the guy with the foam Tiger paw, $8 beer and $4 hot dog texting on his smartphone.
Let's show American a full image of Detroit, the rays of sunshine emerging from the financial troubled city, along with the hardships.

No comments:

Post a Comment