Thursday, August 18, 2011

Worthy of a mention, but not first prize

Sleeping Bears Dunes was voted the most beautiful place in America by "Good Morning America" voters Wednesday. The Dunes were one of 10 finalists, including Aspen, Colorado, Grand Tetons in Jackson, Wyoming and Lanikai Beach in Oahu, Hawaii. As much as I love Michigan's natural beauty, there's no way Sleeping Bear Dunes is the most beautiful location in America.
I've been lucky enough to visit a lot of locations in the country, camping from east to west and north to south, all around our beautiful country. These travels have also included a great deal of time within the state of Michigan and I've always thought the beauty of the state was overlooked. The gorgeous coastlines and friendly small vacation towns were a hidden gem. This is why I'm pleased to see one Michigan location on the list.
Having visited Colorado and the Grand Tetons, as well as the Dunes, there's no comparison. The first two breathtaking locations win out over Sleeping Bear every time. I was also shocked not to see Alaska anywhere on the top-10 list. I've only seen photos, but the Alaskan wilderness and wildlife would top Sleeping Bear any day.
If I'm right, then what led to the Dunes being selected?. I have a theory. You may disagree and question my Michigan pride, but I think Michigan earned the top spot due to unemployment. There are probably a lot more Michigan residents sitting at home watching "Good Morning America" than in many states in the country where people are at work during most of the broadcast, accounting for more voters.
Even though Sleeping Bear Dunes may not be the most beautiful place in America, it's definitely one of the most beautiful in Michigan, and I support that vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment