Friday, March 12, 2010

New beginnings

Welcome to the technological fast train.

So at the end of February, all of the reporters within Heritage Newspapers and Journal Register Company got their very own Flip camera. It is an HD video camera roughly the size of an iPod that can be carried around easily.

So for the past few weeks, myself and other writers/editors/advertisers in Washtenaw County have been getting technologically prepped, posting videos, creating Facebook and Twitter pages, etc. I even set up a little profile at formspring.me/janawritesalot in case anyone felt like asking me a direct (possibly anonymous) question. You should know, however, that it is *incredibly* glitchy. Sometimes responses don't show up for days, sometimes they disappear. But on the whole, it's pretty amusing. Anyway, I would encourage you to become a fan of the Manchester Enterprise page on Facebook and to follow us on Twitter @ManchEnterprise. It can't hurt.

On a note unrelated to my work, I had a very busy couple of weeks on my personal blog... where I live blogged the Oscars, posted a few cute animal videos, and broke down an analysis of the recently-released Eclipse trailer (Twilight saga). Most people who know me are aware of my fandom. I have a poster of Edward Cullen and Bella Swan hanging over my desk at work. HOWEVER, I am not insane about it. Sure, I'll see the movies more than once in theaters (ok, maybe more like four or five), but I'm not going to scream and do back flips or anything. But people are aware of my excitement over these things, so a lot of people were asking my opinion on the third book, third movie, the trailer, etc. I finally responded. Here's an excerpt from the post:

And thus, the territorial peeing contest over Bella Swan (Eclipse) begins:

Edward: I love you, Bella. *broods*

Bella: I love you but I hate age.

Edward: Ewww... you as a vamp saddens me.

Bella: If you really loved me, you'd change me tomorrow.

Edward: No I wouldn't.

Bella: Or would you?

Edward: Nope.

Bella: *squinty eyes*

Edward: No.

Bella: .....

Edward: .....

Bella: Am I a vamp yet?


Also, I did see Alice in Wonderland recently. Some might recall that I was uber excited about this one since it was sort of my perfect artistic storm, because A) Alice in Wonderland was my favorite book/story growing up, B) I am in love with Tim Burton and everything he touches, and C) I wish Johnny Depp was my best friend. Our sprite of a movie reviewer (yeah, the 13-year-old Roger Ebert Mini Me) wasn't impressed. I'll buy that, mostly because he doesn't share my obsessions and I can see how the actual plot development would be considered dull by normal people. However, Avatar suffered from those same script weaknesses and still managed to be nominated for best picture at the oscars and won the golden globe. If that was all based on visuals, then I think we might as well afford Alice and Wonderland the same courtesy. Ryan also hated both Twilight movies. He's a boy, so I guess that's alright. But if he disses one more of my movies, I'm going to bring out the rebuttal big guns.

Hmmm... lots going on this week. Manchester basketball teams were heavy into post-season stuff, the wrestlers went to the individual state finals, the crazy cash night went down (it was so CRAZY!), and people continued to show up angry at Sharon Township board meetings. All in all, not a bad week. Except for the dairy farm barn fire that took place in Freedom Township... that was not so good. It also awakened Smoky the Bear from his grave because the kids that started it forgot their lessons about matches. Yeah, they were playing with matches... in/near a straw- and hay-filled barn... not smart.

On the horizon is the Meet the Candidates forum in the Ackerson building board room. I'm moderating and will be assembling questions in the next few weeks. I would encourage that you leave a comment on this post if there is a specific topic/question you'd like me to ask. Or, as an alternative, you can tell me in person on Sunday. I'll be at Linda's Diner Sunday at noon until about 1:30 p.m. Ask me if you dare.

Fin.

P.S.
I'm way overdue on linkspam. It isn't that I haven't been reading news, and it isn't that I don't have links to share... I just haven't organized them in a way that makes sense for this blog. I'm trying to spare you all the girly news.

Also, this happened. CLOMP! CLOMP! CLOMP!

No comments:

Post a Comment